It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zone 1 Opening(HELP)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 pm 
TROG Member

HARVESTING UPDATE AND APPEAL FOR HELP.
The harvesting machine has now moved into a remote area of Zone 2, away from the trail. The forwarder is still working in the eastern areas of Zone 1 removing the cut timber and hopefully the worst of the brash.
The FC has given us permission to clear and prepare the areas of BH1 and V2 at weekends (and perhaps evenings).
The problem is that the usual organisers of trail work are unavailable to lead a working party due to family commitments, holidays or in my case, both me and Tracey being involved in a rather nasty car accident. Tracey has broken her pelvis in a few places and needs constant care from me at home for the next 5 weeks.
So…………………We are looking for a volunteer, preferably one with some experience from our normal trail repair sessions to stand in to supervise workers clearing the areas stated above ready for re-opening in future days/weeks. I will get all the paperwork sorted with the FC ready for work to start, and I will also produce a briefing sheet based on our method statement and risk assessment for trail work for whoever takes on the task. The initial work (BH1/V2) is bracken, nettle and shrubbery clearance with some repairs to the berms to get them in a suitable state for riding. I will also be available for advice and queries that may arise from the work. This work will continue through to V3 and V4 once the forwarder has moved out of Zone 1.
In order to get things moving it would be handy if work could commence this Sunday in order to reduce the amount of time that both Zones 1 and 2 are out of use at the same time.
The other problem being that the tools are all in the container and the same unavailable people are the key-holders. It may be possible for one of them to get the springy rakes, bracken slashers, first-aid kit etc delivered to someone nearby for use on work days.
We thought we had it all worked out but circumstances have changed both in the harvesting plan and on a personal level.
Thanks to Mark, Jo, Hugh and Screwy for their time in the forest and meetings with the FC last week trying to rework the planned diversions and surveying the trail to help determine a plan of work for opening the zone.

Post subject: Re: Zone 1 Opening(HELP)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:28 am 
TROG Member

Sorry I wish I could do something to help, but my leg is still giving me a lot of jip so I'm having to rest up a bit longer. Tried a very slow spin on my own round Alton Water this morning and had to stop and turn back. I'll see for next weekend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:56 pm 
TROG Member

I'm at a festival with the family this Sunday, and still on overtime at work at present John but happy to lead when im free weekends and days off in the week once daughters back at school end of next week, my main problem is shift work, but whatever i can do im happy to muck in with the scythe and have own tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:37 pm 
TROG Member

Thanks Keston, still waiting for the machines to finish.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 pm 
TROG Member

Cool ok let me know when we can enter, i will let you know what days i can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm 
TROG Member

rode through most of the afore mentioned last week.(felling ceased for weekend)apart from a squashed berm,nettles/bracken from bh1 already cleared.cleared major debris from off piste to luptons,bracken still biggest issue. sick rick and the rollers largely intact. 8)